From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 1994 11:35:00 -0500
Chris VonSeggern wrote:

> Also: I've only had him for three days, but he seems very indifferent to
> my presence.  I haven't had a young pet for years, as I stated above, and
> never a ferret, so I just wondered if this is par for the course.
>
> Third and last:  He's been 100% so far with the litterbox, even when it
> necessitated climbing back into the cage.  Is this normal, or do I have a
> very responsible kit?

Your kit is probably still too interested in learning what the world outside
his nest/breeding box/cage is like to be terribly interested in interaction
with you.  Give him a week or two, handling him as often as you can, and he
should begin to respond.  Our Rusty, who at seven months is a real snuggler,
largely ignored us for his first week home.  He did like to play with Sock
Toy, though.  (Sock Toy is, appropriately enough, a sock which has been
wrapped around a bell and tied with a long string for dangling.  It's one of
our pair's favorite toys.)

As for the litter pan, I wish you the best of luck.  :-)  Both of ours were
very accurate with the pan at first, but as they grew they each went through
a period of a month or two when they weren't as diligent.  With generous
treats and careful supervision, both grew out of that, but one's settled
in at about 85% and the other at nearly 100%.  To coin a phrase, Your
Mustelid May Vary.

 ---------------------------
How to Win Friends and Influence People story: We had a couple of guests
last week who were absolutely bowled over when Pixxel and Rusty performed
for them (sitting up and rolling over, respectively).  One of them had even
taken care of his sister's ferret for a few months, but they'd never even
imagined that you could teach a ferret tricks.  Score one for the 'Yes,
really, they're more like cats and dogs than guinea pigs!' idea.

<Disflamer: Yes, we taught our ferrets tricks.  Yes, it was remarkably easy.
No, we didn't keep food from them overnight to do it.  Yes, I know that's
still in the FAQ.  No, I didn't make that suggestion up -- it's in Winsted's
book.  Yes, I know food goes through ferrets in about three hours.  No, I
don't think it would hurt them to miss one meal; they sometimes have to
fast before surgery.  No, I'm not trying to claim that teaching a trick is
as important as saving a life.  And finally, yes, I do plan to take that out
out of the FAQ in the next version anyway, or at least change the wording.>