Date:
Wed, 7 May 2008 22:43:38 -0400
Yes, I had the same problem with my ferret. Unfortunately, I found out
too late what I could do for it. Having chronic diarrhea can weaken
the system and cause the ferret to get kidney disease / go into renal
failure. That's what happened to me. My baby had chronic diarrhea and
apparently it got worse for a couple of days without my realizing it (I
have six ferrets). By the time, I realized there was a problem, he was
dehydrated, went into renal failure and was dead within a few days. I
have beaten myself up over this so much.

Anyway, the vet told me that some ferrets just can't digest the foods
we feed them well enough. He prescribed Science Diet Z/D, which is a
food that is very easy to digest. It so happens that, because my ferret
was sick, I had been feeding him only my duck soup mixture for a couple
of days and he hadn't had diarrhea at all. So, after all that time, I
finally figured out it was the kibble that causing the problem for him.
If he had lived, I would have fed him duck soup almost solely.

Debbie Whorley