Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:17:16 -0400
Now that I know what to look for after dealing with Furrari's sudden
death, I know that Mugsy has kidney disease. His urine is clear or
nearly clear indicating a low concentration of toxins, which means
the kidneys aren't filtering out the toxins into the urine. For some
months, he has been much worse about not making it to the litter box or
newspaper, which is another symptom. He's peeing a lot more, which is
another symptom. He's got bad looking gums on the insides of the mouth,
which is another symptom. He is also very easily dehydrated, which is
another symptom.

He had a blood work up in February and everything was okay. That is not
abnormal because the kidneys would have still been functioning enough
to not show anything on the blood screens. It's the other symptoms to
watch for first.

Fortunately, I have some Amoxycillin on hand that was prescribed for
Furrari. I've started Mugsy on that. He pretty much eats mostly the
Duck soup mixture I make and I'm going to change that to a lower
protein. And, I will be sure he gets plenty of fluids, even probably
doing a sub-q once a week just to be sure. I'm taking him to the vet
on Saturday for another check-up.

Debbie Whorley