From:
"Bill Gruber, FML moderator" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2008 02:00:00 -0400
Looks like this topic is crying out for a note from me. So here it is:

In my opinion, this has been blown way out of proportion and has taken
on a mob mentality.

Kevin's original post, if it was a clever sarcastic note (and turns out
it wasn't), doesn't seem like it was ever meant to be a swipe at Bob C,
though I can't judge the intentions of a post which never occurred.

Bob, sensing a possible swipe at a member of "the crew" posted a
well-reasoned response stating such posts were uncalled for. How
that evolved into "Kevin's post was an all-out attack on Bob C., his
research, world travel and the DMK ferret rescue" is beyond me.

This is a written forum and meanings aren't always clear. Some people
read a post and immediately see an attack. Often though, a post can be
taken more than one way and what seems like an attack might just be a
different way of stating things with no bad intent at all.

The post in question is a great example. Kevin's post, at first sight,
contained a useful link and an encouraging message. I checked the link,
liked his message and I didn't think anything more of it at first. When
a couple of people complained, I "realized" they were probably correct
and the post must really be a clever bit of sarcasm. I guess I'm as
guilty as anyone else in seeing the worst scenario.

We're all going to guess wrong sometimes. And most of us might let a
couple of words slip which perhaps should be better left unsaid. But
overall we're a great bunch of caring people on this list -- that's
why we're upset when we perceive one of us is being verbally attacked.
That's fine, and I'm all for checks and balances, but I think we really
shine when we concentrate on the positive things going on rather than
looking hard to find the negatives. Myself included. Enough said.

Bill
FML moderator