From:
Dawn Gloeckler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:09:41 -0500
My ferrets HATE ANYTHING that smells like fish. I tried giving them
some tuna once and they won't come NEAR it! I also tried substituting
Salmon Oil for Ferretone and they won't eat it by itself, but I do
add it to their gravy. I buy the capsules from Puritan's Pride:
http://www.puritan.com/

I just poke a whole in the capsules and add it to their gravy.
Puritan's Pride has specials all the time. I just bought 3 bottles
of 1000mg Salmon Oil (240 softgels) at buy 2 get 3 free and $1.00 for
shipping, but that special ends Feb 20th at midnight, so too late for
this post - BUT they have deals ALL the time!

I suppose you could try adding some fish to the chicken gravy - a
little at a time until they get used to the taste? I buy chicken leg
qtrs from Aldi's in 5# bags (frozen) for around 70 cents a pound. They
are 100% all natural and no artificial ingredients BUT they are coated
w/an ice glaze of 15% broth solution which raises the sodium to 780mg
so I always wash them first. I was using a food processor but it
wouldn't grind bones/cartilage well so I went on ebay and got a grinder
for $12 w/shipping! My husband rigged up a drill to where the hand
crank went so it's more or less electric - but it still takes 2 people -
one to feed in the parts and one to man the drill. I do up a BIG batch
in a roaster I bought on ebay too (brand new holds 18 qts) that I got
for $35 w/shipping. I can do 15# of chicken leg qtrs, 2 packs of
hearts/gizzards and a container of chicken livers. I set it to slow
cook and let it do it's thing. Then I just remove the meat from the
larger bones (haven't tried putting them thru the grinder yet, but
w/the drill I'm sure they'll go fine) and grind away! You could add
your fish to that a little at a time till they get used to the taste,
but I wouldn't start it out too fishy as they may not eat it. Mine will
NOT touch anything fishy, but that's my kids! Give it a try! As long as
you add chicken w/fat I don't see anything wrong w/it. You could always
buy chicken backs as they have a LOT of fat on them and a large portion
of skin to balance out the leanness of the fish. Just my opinion.

Dawn, Hamlet, Socrates, Romeo, Alexander, and Simon