From:
colburns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:13:55 -0500
Dear Ferret Folks-

Over the years I have read a lot about chicken gravy mixes, and what
a pain it is to render the chickens, how injurious the process is to
blenders. I have an "I admit I am completely ignorant" question. Is
fish gravy a doable thing? It would certainly be high quality protein,
and a lot easier to pass a few fish through a blender than a chicken
carcass. On the downside, it would smell like fish gravy, and I think
be more expensive than chicken based gravy unless you could find
a clever fish source. Availability is not something I have ever
researched, but I think cheap fish like mackerel would work just as
well as expensive fish, like cod. I think it might be unacceptably
low fat unless you threw in a can or two of cheap sardines in oil,
but that is easy to do. Are Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil just
as good for ferrets as they are for hoomins?

I don't know how many of you have ever tried feeding fish to your
ferrets, but in my experience most ferrets really enjoy an oily sardine
fillet, or a few scraps of baked fish.

Alexandra in MA