Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 02:25:01 -0800
Mary,

That reminds me of a few things I've read about comparisons between
health and vitality of European ferrets vs. American ferrets.

Maybe Bob can clarify on this - I've had people tell me in chats that
their European (UK) ferrets who eat kibble pretty much have the same
lifespan as ours, and are starting to get adrenal disease and
insulinoma just the same as American ferrets.

It's been mentioned that the comparisions are between working
(ferreting) ferrets and American pet ferrets, which would make a big
difference. Working ferrets live in a barn or hutch, are outside, and
don't get exposed to much artificial light....and are fed meat as well
as processed food (if any processed food).

Contrary to this, I've always heard people in the US say that it's poor
breeding by Marshall farms that causes a predisposition to adrenal
disease here, and only in the last two years was I hearing that kibble
can pretty much cause insulinoma.

Now the trend is to keep them as pets, and owners have noticed (at
least ones I've spoken to in chats) that they aren't as healthy....I
haven't spoke to tons of people, though, and so I have no clue if
this is true, or just a tiny speck of "illness" in an otherwise
spectacularly healthy UK nation of ferrets, pet or working.

One thing is for sure - UK ferrets have very cute faces!

Laryssa