From:
Nell Angelo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 18:31:35 +0300
Well, we had good success with our first batch of chicken gravy -- each
ferret willingly ate at least a little, and the Famous Masked Pair,
Robert and Lucy (my oldest and my youngest) licked up a storm.

Digging is up these days. They are creating some major holes in their
outdoor pen, esp against the back wall. We had to doublecheck and add
to the underground cement wall in that spot.

Today we did some planning for the elevated mesh tunnels that will run
between their rooms, their cage, and their outdoor pen. Happily, we
already have enough material to do it. I had to have mesh specially
made here -- nothing appropriate for a tall pen is available
ready-made. Soon I'll place another order to create another pen. This
one will connect to the first and will end up close to my bedroom
window.

Some of you might remember what a trial it was for me to get a pen made
in the Drrreaded Hornbrook California. No so here -- there are so many
good people who do such good work and are so glad to get the work.
Sisay's brother, Kiros, came over today, and also two other friends,
one of whom does construction. SO! We are on our way. Susay and Kiros
will start folding and tying the mesh to make the square tunnels
tomorrow.

When I made my first set of tunnels in Hornbrook, I made them too small
in diameter for the ferts to play in them or even to run along with
their heads up. This time they will have plenty of room.

I am still working on my declarations to get my stuff through Customs.
I need my Revolution and Heartguard! There is no heartworm in Ethiopia,
but there are fleas! I didn't dose my dogs close enough to when I left
the US, and the two small dogs have fleas. The local solution is to use
Fleet. Omigod.

Speaking of dogs -- HELP HELP HELP -- dog and cat food is very costly
and lousy in quality. Can any of you suggest good make-it-yourself
food? We shall use sheep as the meat/bone/organ base.

Any reason not to use sheep for ferts?

I was always too unnerved by the idea of feeding my ferrets mice and
chicks (live or even frozen), but the time to face it all again has
finally come. In order to get the organs as well as the meat and bones,
we shall have to buy our own chickens and sheep live and (omigod)
butcher them at home.

I sort of w a rural family in Mexico on and off for a long time in the
90's and early 2000's, and I had to get used to animal slaughter there,
primarily goats, becasue it was part and parcel to our source of meat.
It was very difficult for me -- both becasue of the shock, and then
because I became quickly used to it. By the second goat, even. It is
so odd how quickly one adjusts in some ways. Like in the political
realm -- sometimes something so horrible happens. I can't believe it,
am very upset, and then by the next day I believe it and it seems
normal -- though still horrible. Normal, normal.... I am as upset by
the fact that it has become normal to me as by the thing itself.

In Mexico I did my best to adjust by photographing some slaughters and
the resulting bodies, w and w/o skin, and then the pieces of meat. And
I enjoyed the meals. Some of the photographs could have been exquisite,
oddly enough, but I was too unnerved to keep the technicalities in
line. So I get another chance at it all. Whew!

Well, anyway, I know this will all work out. The reason I wanted to see
it in Mexico was so that I would really know where the meat I eat comes
from. I could have stayed in my room or gone out, and I did that at
first. Then I decided to face it.

In this case, it is in the interest of my ferts and other animals
companions, and it is an undeniable part of nature. (I am giving myself
A Talk here....)

Life continues to be good. I am so happy I made the big effort, came,
and am building my life here. The two things that are especially
wonderful are to be with good friends and to have time to enjoy the
animals fully. Soon there will be the third of having the engrossing
and satisfying work of sewing our beautiful bedding.

Last night Abeba and Sigay and I sat in the ferret pen through the end
of the day and through twilight into the almost-dark. I was sitting on
a large thick-plastic bag in which I had put a couple of crumpled
sheets to make sitting on the ground comfortable. Pretty soon a few of
the ferts started to investigate the wonderful crackling plastic and
soon they had tunnelled their way into the bag. We watched all their
play and when all but Ada and Phillipp went into their cage to sleep
we picked A and P up and brought them back to their room.

I went back to the livingroom to read w the two small dogs snugggled
up. Soon Abeba came to tell me to come and play with the ferrets --
she and Sigay and the fertys were all jumping all over the room!