From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 01:43:48 -0400
When you let the USDA/APHIS know that you support reducing risks for
ferrets by having species specific standards for farms, distributors,
and their transport, please, take things like these below into
consideration as possible topics to include and approaches to use:

Remember, please, to keep all correspondences polite; APHIS is
following its own rules of procedure and is an ally if we build a
good enough case.

Also, remember to not focus on only one farm, distributor, transport
source... All have their problems, and large new comers seeking to
cash in are often so much worse than the established farms and so
uninformed that not having species specific guidelines may create
problems, for instance, one (now sold and improved as of a few years
ago) had outside cages (that were also too small) with bottom wire
grids so widely spaced that ferrets could injure feet or legs on them,
and they did it for a reason which could cause an influenza zoonotic
risk: they had pigs going underneath and eating the droppings.

Age at sale and transport also is a health concern (failure to thrive,
prolapses, etc.).  It should be no younger than 8 weeks.  At 50 to 53
days ferrets erupt the conical adult canines that replace the
needle-like kits canines and that allows them to be easily aged, plus
in that time frame they erupt their first molars making petstore diets
chewable enough.

Socialization skills are important for ferrets so longer time with
mother and siblings helps on that score.

Transport with unhealed incisions is an existing problem.

Ferrets need frequent meals, especially kits.

We've all read of ferrets dead on tarmacs because existing regulations
don't inform transporters of unacclimated ferrets' intolerance for
extreme heat.

Dehydration and the damage that causes has occurred at times in
transport.

Etc.

Stories of your own experiences with such individuals are welcome in
the edockets or your letters.

If you use the snail mail route, please, remember to send 4 copies of
your letter.

You can read more about this effort in
http://www.ferretcongress.org

THANK YOU SO MUCH!  It is your past written support which has gotten
this effort further than any previous attempt to improve conditions
which repeatedly lead to frustrated FML letters.  Now, we have a
chance to get to the next step when actually proposals will be
considered, but we will get there ONLY if enough people write in
supporting the petition.  Please, be sure to write, and let your
vets and ferret groups know!

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives