From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 01:03:49 -0700
Hello group --

Here are a couple of questions:

1. I read that ferrets are halfway between cats and dogs.  The
presentation was a little confused, but the context implied that
this was a scientific relationship rather than a comment on
personality/temperment.  Is there anything to this idea?

Along the same lines, do cats and ferrets have similar diseases?  An
FMLer recently wrote about her male ferret's unexpected new obsessive
sexual behavior, and someone explained that this is one of the signs of
a common and miserable ferret disease -- perhaps it was ADV or adrenal
problems -- I remember an "A" (pls pardon my sloppy memory.  I'm sure I
will know only too soon exactly what these and other problems are, given
the number of ferts I have).

At any rate, Andy, my cat, has the same symptoms, and I have asked my
vet tech to see if the vet can find any evidence of cats sharing this
phenomenon with ferrets.  Andy is 12 and neutered, and his sex object is
Brian, a small neurtered male dog who is about Andy's size.  Andy also
attacks dogs, incuding Julie, our own 65-lb Barbet (French water dog).
He is quite precise in his strikes, and twice has done some real harm,
though nothing permanent.

The first vet I described the first problem to (2 or 3 years ago) said
Andy was "confused." That gave me and some of my friends a good laugh,
but didn't clarify the situation.

2.  My ferrets are growing wonderfully lush coats.  Seems strange, since
this is summer and the weather has become hot.  Perhaps this is a change
from kit to adult coat?  They are 4 - 7 months old now.

[RiccoRobertAdaTinaArtie]