From:
suzi lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 08:38:23 -0800
Hi Benny and everyone,

Yes, I guess it is a compliment.  They are saying, "you are so valuable
to me I have to stash you away where you will be nice and safe and ALL
mine!!"

Too funny.

The babies are not being dragged as mercilessly as before.  It's been 5
days and things are a little calmer.  They still get dragged and groomed
within an inch of their little lives, but not as bad.  They still scream,
which sounds so bad, but they are not trying to hide under my shirt.  I
am keeping them separate and only letting them out for short supervised
time outs together.  I also let the adults out for an hour or more before
to unwind and get their ya ya's out a little.

I am also switching bedding and let a couple of the more gentle big ones
sleep for a half hour or so with the babies.  You knew when everyone is
in that "dead" ferret sleep?  I put them together and watch them, and the
big one will sniff the little ones like crazy and the little one doesn't
run so there is no chase.  Then the big one just curls up and goes to
sleep with babies.  It's so cute.

The babies are also getting pretty darn fast at running and evading the
big ones.  They are also coming back at the big ones when they are
unawares and pouncing on them and then dashing away!  REVENGE!!

I love it when the babies try to war dance and fall over on their little
wobbly legs!!  They are starting to chuckle and dook now, it's so cute!
But man, they are into EVERYTHING!!  Little energizer bunnies.  They
seem to have two speeds, on and off.  And when they are on, watch out!
So I will keep you posted.

Thanks for everyone who wrote with advice and well wishes.  If any
one has anymore advice on new babies, their behavior and also how to
integrate.  Please let me know.

suzi

P.S does any one know what's up with all the grooming, ear cleaning and
frantic nibbling some of the adults do to the babies?  They will pin them
down or wrap their front paws around them and groom and groom and groom.
Babies are covered in ferret spit and hate it!!

Are the babies that dirty or smell too weird to the adults?  Is it a
ferret mommy thing?  Seems like my one little female Cheech does it the
most.  Is it a dominance thing?