From:
Kim Schilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 12:31:00 EST
CJ ([log in to unmask]) Wrote:
>i was going to spay Meeka my female coati this year but if she can be part
>of a program that helps get them off the endangered species list.  she is
>wild caught so she would be perfect for the program, and shes beautiful
>also.  for anyone not familar with these animals they look like racoons,
>originally from s.A. but until recently were living in Az and N.M.  They
>have ferret mentality, and i call them my 30 pound ferrets!

Hey, CJ!  I have no idea where you heard that info, but it's news to me!
Tell me more!  I have 3, soon to be 4, coatis.  The pet trade is flooded
with coatis.  I get MANY calls, but can't take them all!  They're eaten
regularly in their native non-US countries.  The US populations in the few
southwest states are becoming thinner mainly due to loss of habitat.  But,
endangered?  I'd like to hear more about this!  Even if this is the case,
there are SO many coatis in the pet trade that if a SSP were to be started,
there would be an overabundance of candidates to pick from, both captive
born and wild caught.  I'm a fan of spaying and neutering pets, even the
exotics, if breeding isn't going to be of the plan.  Just as with ferrets,
I believe only animals that will greatly improve the species as a whole
should be considered for breeding.  Well, most of us believe OUR dear pets,
ferrets and otherwise, would only add to the genetic greatness of the
particular species.  However, the fact is, only a small percentage of
animals are genetically superior enough to do the job.  Just my two cents.

I suggest you hop on over to my egroups list Procyonid_Viverrid.  It's a
list dedicated to the critters in these 2 families!  I personally would
love to see you there!!!  Don't think we have any members who have wild
caught coatis.

Kim Schilling and the Zoo
Author of Ferrets for Dummies
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764552597/o/qid=966092394/sr=8-1/
ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/104-3261518-8219960

http://www.animalsforawareness.org
Animals for Awareness, a USDA non-profit, educational facility "Protection
through Education" Dedicated to education and the rescue of exotic animals
Come join our list!

http://www.egroups.com/community/Procyonid_Viverrid"
Procyonid_Viverrid
For the raccoon, coati, kinkajou, ringtail cat, genet, civet, and binturong
lovers!