From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 09:23:08 -0800
What they steal...well...this could be a long one.

Mira has a hacky-sack stuffy.  She adopted it the day after my birthday
two years ago, for which it was a gift.  It is sand-filled, so I don't
worry about blockages too much.  She hides this like a typical stuffy.
She also loves the cheap thin little dart cases that come with a set of
darts.  These are about two inches wide and five-six inches long, fake
leather.  They are only thick enough to accomodate the barrel of a dart.
The flights must be removed and put in the special flights pocket.  Mira
has as many of those as I have gone through new dart sets.  About five.

Cael steals me.  Almost every time I pick him up, he finds a nice spot
on a finger or my hand, and clamps on.  Gently, but hard enough that if
I tried to get away, it would hurt.  Then he asks to be let down, and
as soon as his little feet hit the floor, under the bed he goes, me in
tow.  Then he sets my hand down, and licks it for a while, and after he
wanders off, I remove myself.

Tasha is a weirdo.  Her favorite thing to steal is empty cigarette packs.
At the last place I rented, the "run" included among other things, one of
my roommates's bedroom.  (They were allowed in that room because they
couldn't be kept out.)  This roommate smoked quite a bit.  He tended to
twist up empty packs so he knew they were empty, and then he would toss
them in a wastebasket.  One afternoon, the ferrets were out while he was
napping, and he woke up to Tasha burrowing around in a wastebasket that
contained exclusively twisted-up empty packs.  He thought nothing of it,
there was nothing in there to hurt her.  When we moved out of that house,
we found three different stashes of these packs, in various places around
the "run." Approx.  40 empty packs.  It gets better.  In the much smaller
place I live now, the ferrets have only my bedroom.  They only get let out
when I can devote full attention to them and where they are going, because
the other rooms can't be ferret-proofed.  But... Tasha escaped from the
bedroom about a week ago, during the night when I was asleep.  I had gone
to bed late, and she must have slipped past me then.  When I woke up two
hours later, she was sitting outside the bathroom door looking at me when
I got done.  "Tashee, you rotten ferret, what are you doing out here?"  I
put her back in her room and investigated.  Nothing looked amiss.  I slept
more.  When I actually got up, I wandered into the kitchen for coffee,
noticed a cigarette on the floor, and picked it up and smoked it.  I
thought nothing of how and why a cigarette was on the floor in the kitchen,
until an hour later.  when I wanted another and couldn't find them.  Upon
further investigation, I found the only things disturbed during Tasha's
freedom... All the empty cigarette packs from the waste basket in the
living room were gone.  Hidden under the couch, under the coffee table, and
a small stash in the bathroom behind the toilet.  The full pack from on top
of the computer desk?  Gone.  I found it half an hour later in the kitchen,
under the sink.  All the cigarettes were dry and intact.  Lucky for Tasha.
No WONDER that smoke was on the floor...right in front of the sink...
Silly me.

BTW, at no time do I smoke when there isn't at least one closed door
between me and the ferrets.  Nor is anyone else allowed to, or ever has
been.

As yet, Robin doesn't steal anything strange... just socks, underwear,
and any other clothes that are on the floor.  (How I get dressed every
morning, I'll never know.)  He tries to steal Tasha, but she will have
none of THAT!

Melissa
Mira: Mom?  Where's my hacky?  Did Cael steal it again?
Cael: I didn't take it, look under the nightstand where you put it.
Tasha: MOOOMM!!!  Robin is biting my ear again!!
Robin: I was not!  I was just trying to drag you under the...whoops...