From:
Tammy Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:35:46 -0400
"inexpensive ferret" for his daughter for christmas "a ferret he doesn't
have to pay and arm and a leg for"....THERE IS NO SUCH ANIMAL.  Sure, you
could probably find one in a paper or from a shelter for less than what
they cost at a pet store (though a reputable shelter would probably not
adopt out a ferret to anyone merely looking for a bargain), but it is
important to remember that the purchase price is not the end of the cost
of any pet.  Far from it.

Please remember that bringing an animal into your home is a great
responsibilty - you owe it to that animal to provide the best possible care
for the full duration of its natural life span.  And that can be rather
costly in the case of ferrets.  For starters, they require a high quality
food, which will naturally cost more than low quality food.  They require
regular vet exams and vaccinations.  And anyone who has read this list for
even one day knows ferrets get sick.  And some of the treatments are not
cheap.  Surgeries for adrenal tumors and insulinomas - two of the more
common illnesses of ferrets - can run as high as $1000 depending on the
clinic and the complications.  And ferrets, because of their small size and
curious nature, can get into trouble and danger before you even know they
are gone.  "Ferret-proofing" a room or house is a continuous process that
can also cost money.  Plus, who wouldn't want to supply miscellaneous toys,
hammocks, etc for their little ferret?

Several months ago I posted about the total estimated amount I've spent on
my 8-year old ferret who, until this past year, has required little in the
way of vet care outside of regular exams and vaccinations.  I estimate I've
spent over $3000 for her care and comfort (an admittedly small price to pay
for all she has given in return) and the bills continue to come in.

So, my [unsolicited] advice to this dad is, if you're looking for a pet
that won't cost a lot, well, I can't even really think of one that, if
properly provided for, isn't going to cost at least hundreds of dollars.
And I cannot stress enough (preaching to the choir here, I know) that a pet
is not a possession like a pair of pants you replace when they no longer
fit (all legal descriptions of companion animals aside), it is a living
thing that becomes your responsibilty for it's entire life.  Children
learn from the examples we set so it's doubly important that we make the
right choice for both them and any potential companion animals that may
join our families.

And now I'll step down from my soap-box and wish everyone and their fuzzies
a long and happy life.

Tammy