From:
sandra fox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:51:08 -0400
>The bad news comes from my sweetie, who is not very fond of ferret perfume
>and has politely asked me to seriously reconsider descenting Teresa and
>the baby.  My vet does not promote descenting, but I wanted to get some
>opinions from anyone who has been through this - good and bad.... Jen

Once your female is spayed the odor should fade in short order.  There is
no reason to descent.  I know some will disagree, but it is mutilation.
Some side effects can be incontinence and prolapsed rectum.  The odor comes
from the reproductive hormones and "poofs" are less offensive than some
human gas!  We have three ferrets out of 24 that are not descented and you
cannot tell any difference at all-except on the rare occasion one poofs;
and that only lasts a few minutes.

Sandra