Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:30:11 -0400
>I have a friend who is looking for a ferret he doesn't have to pay and
>arm and a leg for.  For his daughter for christmas.he says he can't see
>paying 100bucks for it.  If anyone knows of any Ferrets for sale or for
>Adoption at a reasonable price would you please e-mail me.  We are from
>Mass and would travel as far as CT."

Although I applaud the effort to locate a ferret from a shelter, I'm a bid
concerned that the father wants to pay as little as possible for a ferret
for his daughter.  I don't believe he has the right motivation.  He wants
to save money, pure and simple, rather than seeking out a shelter ferret
vs.  one in a pet store.  Will he also want to save money when it's time
for health care, vaccinations, proper food, etc.?  What about when the
ferret becomes elderly and may need adrenal surgery?  Will he be willing to
foot that bill then?  I know that seeking a ferret from a shelter to save
money sets off alarms when we interview at the Ferret Association of CT.
There are several publications addressing whether a ferret is right for
you, including an article in the current Ferrets magazine (p.50).  Quoting
from the aricle by Mary Van Dahm, "The average ferret may cost between
$1,500 and $3,000 in medical care during its lifetime, depending upon what
part of the country you live in and how familiar your veterinarian is with
ferrets." I think this family may need to fully understand what is involved
when you take a ferret into your home before getting one.  And what
expenses will be incurred during the life of the ferret if that is a
concern.  Maybe I misinterpreted the father's motives, but I'd rather
question than be silent.

Regards,

Moxie and Chance
Ferret Association of CT, Inc.

--
* Page me online through my Personal Communication Center:
http://wwp.mirabilis.com/949746 (go there and try it!) or,