From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 12:15:16 -0700
Yesterday was a hard day for many of us at the shelter.  In the a.m., I
was in the OR with Dr. Paula Bumpers and Dr. Umleuf.  Both are wonderful
surgeons and while I videotaped the long and tedious procedure, they both
worked hard to save our friend Bean.  Bean came to the shelter a couple
of years ago and was adopted by Denise S., one of the volunteers at the
shelter.  She is the most wonderful mommy a fuzzies could ever want to
have.  They have spoiled their kids and given them all the love they could
ever want.  Last week, Dr. Bumpers went in and was going to try and cryo
a diagnosed right adrenal gland.  She found it to be too big and call for
the assistance of Dr. Umleuf who is a very good floating surgeon.  A week
later, yesterday, they both worked together to remove most of the tumor on
the right and cryo any little pieces left.  The surgery went really good
with very little hemmoraghing and no significant problems.  After closing,
Bean was taken to the incubator for observation and within minutes, his
blood pressure dropped and his little heart quit beating.  He was rushed
back into the OR and hooked up the EKG and the respirator.  It was very
tense in there and both Drs worked hard on Bean for 4-5 minutes.  Finally,
his heart started beating again!  Several injections directly into the
heart w/ epi brought him back along with CPR.  Then the EKG showed that his
heart was starting to stutter a bit.  then more and more.  After ten more
minutes, Bean gave up and went to visit all our other friends at the
Rainbow Bridge.

Sandee... Make sure that you tell Bean that we all love him so much, and
that his mommy is missing him so much.  We did all we could for him and
we are just sorry it wasn't enough.  He wil be the big boy silver coming
across the Bridge any time now.  Rest now my friend Bean and enjoy your
new friends and say hi to your sissy Maddie.

Ferretguy