From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 12:38:09 -0700
due to concerns by interested parties about my giving vaccinations and
treating ferrets under the direction of my vets, I will no longer be
administering vaccinations to other peoples ferrets at an affordable price
($5) donation nor will I treat any ferrets with any medical procedure ( at
no cost to anyone but the shelter), even if I have the knowledge to save
their life, I will not.  I sincerely hope the concerned parties are
satisfied with the stress they have put upon this shelter, my wife and I,
the ferrets they have and will cause to suffer from this decision, and the
clients that have been forced to bear the results of their concerns and the
intimidation and insinuations that we will be turned in to the authorities
and prosecuted for violating the laws of a state they don't even live in.
You know who you are and we, ferrets and staff, hope that this announcement
will stop your e-mail to us that has turned this, possibly the largest
and most productive shelter on the planet, into a disorganized mess with
everyone scared of doing anything to help the ferrets for fear of
persecution

Good Day,
Ferretguy

[Moderator's note: Hi Randy.  From the correspondence I've seen I didn't
really get the impression that people were threatening you, but rather
they were suggesting that there may be legal implications to vaccinating
ferrets which aren't directly "owned" by you.  I don't wish to make any
judgements here as to whether the law makes sense, just that people are
concerned that your wonderful shelter may be at risk.  I will try to call
you in the next couple of days to give you my take on it...  BIG]