From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 09:38:37 -0400
S. wrote:
>body weight, which would have made Gus's dose 0.B cc, rather than the
>B cc I stated yesterday.  I apologize for that inaccuracy, and I hope that
>anyone having epinephrine on standby will double check with their vet
>before the necessity of administering it.

Epinephrin is a medicine to RESPECT, especially when injected.  Would
expect that the same basic concerns exist for ferrets as for humans.
There has to be great care taken with humans to give it in a muscle instead
of a blood vessel.  Amounts are given carefully to people, sometimes with
separate syringes waiting depending on observation rather than given at
once, the amounts in the prescription needles humans carry for emergencies
hold only about 20 minutes worth so people who have to use their's need
to get to emergency ward for that reason also, some people have an
unreasoning extreme panic from the shots, and it is possible to have
fatal complication.  It's a very serious medication, and potentially a
very dangerous one; it's also an absolutely needed life-saver when an
anaphylactic reaction happens.  Basically, a risk has to be taken to
survive; that's just the balance.  BTW, the steroids can also carry some
risks to sight for certain individuals, but compared to dying from the
reaction or risking brain damage from too weak a medical response it's
preferable to also use heavy steroids in that situation.