Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:23:12 -0500
Hello ferret people!
We refer to the scary death-like sleep as SND here.  Everytime one of them
gets me, I swear I won't fall for it again, but another one got me last
month.  Our club was doing the local pet expo.  I took one of my big hobs
on Saturday to show off and have fun with.  This particular hob had been
treated to his first jill 4 days before (we're all excited about him being
a daddy :) and during the day at the pet expo, I noticed he was leaking a
bit of pus and blood from his 'belly button'.  I freaked out, of course,
but luckily there was a vet passing by who said it wasn't uncommon after
breeding, just clean him up and keep an eye on it.  We put him on a low
dose of amoxycillian until he could see his regular vet on Monday, but I
still continued to worry.  Kazander acted fine, was eating and pooping
and willing to still try to show any girls what a great boy he was.

Sunday morning, still worried about him, I pulled him out of his cage to
check, and he was limp and really felt kinda cold.  This is a hob who wakes
up and paces as soon as he hears anyone in the ferret room.  I freaked.
"Chuck!" I cried out.  As Chuck raced over, Kazander finally rolled his
head up, opened one eye and looked at me like I was crazy, crying like I
was.  He was fine, the vet said he had just gotten irritated from overuse
and he was just sleeping so heavily from the excitement of the show the
day before.  I swear that's the last time they will get me like that!

Sherry and her Merry Mob