From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:18:22 -0700
viripotent hobs in the same cage, I should like to relate my most recent
experience with a very young male by name of UNKTHOB-ichi, born April 4, 98,
now nearly 4 months old.  He is the son of UNKMI-ichi (father) and
THOBGET-NI (mother) and a most gentle, fun-loving little guy.  UNKTHOB-ichi
(can anybody guess how he got his name?) was isolated to a private cage
because he was the cause of an ugly scab on the back of the neck of a cage
companion male who is neutered and descented.  UNKTHOB-ichi, although not
yet sexually mature, more frequently than not , assumed the doggie style
mating postion relative to his cage sharer and would hold him by the loose
skin fold on the back of his neck for hours as a time.

To me this indicates that male to male sexual behavior can occur regardless
of whether the alpha male is "in rut" as you call it, or not.  However, I
have to admit when two fully mature non-neutered males (I term them
viripotent [sexually mature] and in season) are caged together, the beta
male initially will not tolerate getting it "doggie style" and will fight
like hell to get the alpha male off his back.  Usually after some very
severe fighting and blood being spilled, the beta male will capitulate.
Then in addition to bite wounds, the beta male will develop a very severe
neck wound scab as a consequence of the alpha male pinning him to the floor
with a tremendous mouthfuls of neck fur and skin.

Yet I know of two sibling intact males, now about 4 years of age who fight
each other from time to time only briefly, and have reached an apparent
agreement that neither will hump the other, whether "in rut" or not.
However, the mitigation here is that the brothers have grown up together.
For the most part all the adult males here at Ferrets NorthWest FNW have
private cages.

Also when handling several viripotent, in season hobs in quick succession
one must be very careful.  The second hob you pick up will get very, very
agitated upon scenting the first hob's odor on you and your clothing, will
frequently start digging at your clothing with his powerful forepaw claws,
and whamo!  he'll nail you "real good" unless you control his head or
distract him with a chicken leg or a bottle of Ferretone.

Hey, he's not being bad or viscous; he's acting quite normally in response
to the olefatrory stimulation he's getting from your pre-scented clothes or
hands.  YOU GOT TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING WHEN HANDLING SOME FERRETS.

One thing that gives me the willies: a ferret owner who's only experience is
handling MF furballs and who comes here and picks up one after another of
our viripotent, in-season hobs staked out in the digging grounds, expecting
that our Ferrets NorthWest FNW ferrets are going to be just a docile as his
MF furball.  Man-o-man, is he in for a surprise.  I must always warn such an
individual that he's at serious risk of being bitten and quite hard at that.
I'm constantly amazed how people who come here and who own a MF ferret,
have the idea that all ferrets are as benign as their furball and will
immediately take one of our 4 pounders right up to their lips and nose.
Yikes - gives me the willies.

Cleaning cages of the big males requires care too and for the same reasons
above.  It seems that intact males (females too for that matter) are
evermore demanding to demostrate their alpha status by instantly challenging
any other intact male.

As you probably already know, a MF ferret is nothing but fresh meat for a
FNW viripotent, in-season hob.  Most certainly they cannot be caged
together.

I do hope that some other breeders will describe their handling and cage
arrangements for your (and my) benefit.

Edward Lipinski, Der Wahrheitskaempe von Frettchenvergnuegenland dabei.