From:
Janice Underwood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 1994 11:40:06 -0500
        Does anyone have experience with ferrets post stroke? Frieda had
an episode Wednesday, and we just got back from the vet [Th am]. Would
lowering the dietary fat intake help prevent another episode. The one
yesterday is actually her second one that I observed, the first was about
6 months ago. She is showing definite impairment down her left side, but
just minor stuff except her left hind leg. She is eating and drnking OK
and I'm going to separate the pair briefly to check her stools.
        She'll be 6 years old on 3/29/94. She seems overall to be a pretty
happy camper, but if changing her diet some could help reduce the likelihood
of another CVA, I'm all for it. If not, we'll just keep wobbling along with
TLC and tincture of time.
        Her current diet is Iams cat maintenance dry. BTW, the vet who
examined her thinks the location of the clot [or lesion?] is upper spinal
column or cerebellum. I understand heart attacks much better than strokes,
so even though I made him tell me twice, I may have misunderstood.

Janice and the zoo

PS I'm heading to DC 3/26 - 29. Any ferret shelters in the DC area welcome
visitors? please e-mail me direct at [log in to unmask]