Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 16:43:28 -0700
I will make this as short and painless as I can.  I recently moved from MI
to MO.  I am having problems getting my security deposit back from the
landlord in MI.  When I first moved in there, to make a long story short, I
offered him an additional $300 in order to secure the apartment because I
could not financially or otherwise, go elsewhere.  He was worried about my
ferrets (yes ferrets do actually figure into this prominently) He said I
could not live there because he found out Ferrets "spray" of all things.  I
told him this was completely invalid and would provide him with proper
information.  He declined.  But the $300 additional deposit shut him up.
Now that I have moved out, he is saying that my ferrets sprayed and
inundated the carpeting and ruined it.  He is trying to charge me $600
saying that the carpeting has been cleaned three times and it has not helped
and that they will have to rip the carpeting out, lysol the concrete beneath
and then reinstall new carpeting.

Now frankly, he's full of it.  I take very very good care of my girls.  The
few times they did actually miss the litter box I immediately cleaned up
with Resolve carpet cleaner and a bit of lysol.  There is NO way that
animals that are caged most of the time (however unfortunately and
reluctantly I must do this) have ruined his carpeting to the extent he
claims.  The carpeting is physically in wonderful condition.  Its the smell
he is complaining about.

Now.  I'm going to end up taking him to small claims court in order to
pursue my money which he has.  What I am asking for, essentially, is
information about ferret anatomy saying that they do not in fact spray as he
thinks they do.  Hell, cats, even when their scent glands are removed, still
spray on occassion from what I understand, especially males.  My ferrets
have never ever "sprayed" they are all female, all spayed.  And frankly very
well trained for the most part and highly socialized animals.

If anyone would be willing to send me this information please contact me via
email at [log in to unmask] and let me know and I can give you my snail mail
address.  If any of you, since I know a lot of you constantly struggle with
ferret laws in various states, have any legal advice as well or any ideas on
how to handle this, please feel free to email me as well.

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Oh by the way.  I noticed a Missouri vet help question in the recent FML and
I was referred to someone named Dr. Pernikoff in the St. Louis area.  His
number is 314-530-1808.  He is in West County around the Chesterfield Mall
area.  I found him quite wonderful to deal with.  He is one of the two vets
in the state who is licensed to operate on primates and was very personable
and knowledgeable.

Thanks again... :)