From:
Melissa H <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 23:58:47 GMT
Thank you to those who answered my post about expressing Biscuit's bladder
via email....I got a lot of good ideas...but of course I now have some more
questions!  :)

Does a ferret retaining urine make it more prone to bladder and or kidney
infections?  Is a preventative antibiotic treatment something I should look
into?  If not, what are the signs of bladder or kidney infections?

I am looking for somewhere to find GOOD information on ferrets....and not
the "how to" books about ferret care, etc...Are there any medical/breeding
books or websites out there?  I've heard mention here and other places of
such things as Waardenberg's syndrome and Aleutian's disease....but when I
look in any books, I can never find any information.  (I'm going to search
back issues of the FML to learn more.)

Also.....at what age should kits be fed unsoftened kibble?

I work in a pet store that sells MF kits, and we got in some kits that were
4 weeks old.  (I think this is how old they were, as they were in the store
3 weeks before they got their new canine teeth in....they were in the back
room being treated for URIs until last week.) They now are at the "double
fang" stage, and I know they can handle dry kibble....or slightly
moistened... but the "small animal manager" at the store INSISTS on wetting
it until it's soggy like pudding, and then leaving it for 24 hours....which
most morons seem to know is NO GOOD because of the bacteria, etc...

Again, thanks to those who emailed me about my Biscuit and her bladder...
and an advanced thank you for reading this post..and for any help you can
provide!

Melissa

Shiloh, Yappers, Binks, Biscuit