From:
June Batz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 06:43:23 -0800
What is the life span like after adrenal surgery, Humphrey is noteably
older, 5 or more.  I am assuming he is itching because the hair is
regrowing, is there anything I can do to alleviate this?  Should I expect
the right adrenal to act up?

I spoke with Liane beckwith and got a little more history on Humphrey,
apparently a person passing by, saw three boys attempting to kick Humphrey
off the docks in Everret washington, and he was clinging to the docks,
that person rescued him and brought him to the animal shelter, his
condition was awful he had no hair but for on his head and some on his
tail, (malnourishment and adrenal) the shelter was going to euthanize him,
this is where I get fuzzy, i think by the grace of God, someone came in
and discoverd Hump and brought him to Liane.  Humphrey is a Marshall farms
ferret, he has the longest tail I have ever seen and the most UNIQUE
coloring, he is a red sable, what hair he has is a burnt red color and his
eyes are brown.  His recovery is going smoothly, though he prefers the cats
food, to ferret food..I am just happy he is eating, though I have to get
him to eat his own food.  Thanks in advance to any help with the above
questions.

June Louis and the zoo
P.s.I wrote this several days ago, and was unable to send it, LOTS of
problems with MSN, GRRRRRRRR..anyway.

I changed my cats food to discourage Humphrey from eating it, and my other
ferrets too, you know what is amazing, is you cant change the ferrets
food..they have a hissy fit and refuse to eat it..but they will eat the
cats food..no matter what it is.  I have offered hump, TF, Iams kitten,
L'Avian, andyes, he did pick at it, but did not eat enough to satisfy
me..so I have been experimenting, I got a sample from one of my clients of
the Nutro Max kitten food, Humphrey really likes that.  Though he has been
drinking enough water, he has had, off and on, liquidy poops, poor guy.  So
I have been giving him Kaopectate.  I really want to give him a good diet,
I know I should be supplementing his dry food with his post surgery yummy
nutritious liquid diet, but he FIGHTS ME, he is VERY strong, I am very
afraid of aspiration pneumonia.  I just dont like being able to see his
ribs.  His hair growth is amazing, in the week or so that I have had him,
there is patches of hair coming in like crazy.  I told Liane I would take a
picture, I better get on it, before it has completely grown in.  I have
discovered what ever "person" and I use the term loosely, owned him before
fed him junk food.

Another QUESTION, I have, off and on, been FORCING him to take vitamin b
with ferretone, and squeezing some ferretvite into him..I have to scruff
him so hard.THAT I FEEL ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE, because I know i must be
hurting him, do you think it is worth it?  It is for his own good.  Sorry
this is so long.  Again, any help would be nice.

OH on another note, The other night while laying on the couch, I had both
Phoebe and hUmphrey curled up on me, I told Louis that we have enough young
ferrets, I will continue to adopt older ferrets...they need me as much as I
need them.  I enjoy having a lap ferret and taking care of there special
needs.  I know it will be very hard becasue they wont be with me long, but
this is something I must do.

Happy thanksgiving to you all.
June