From:
C & R Roller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 11:02:01 -0700
Due to the lack of public support, funding and possibility of the
relocation to another state of its operators U.F.O.  is going to stop
taking in Ferrets as of today.  All ferrets that are in the shelter will
be held until adopted out.  All new Ferrets will be told to be dropped
off at the county animal services or Humane Society.

We deeply regret having to do this, but for the past five years we have
operated a shelter and done our best to help with the Ferret Cause.  WE
helped legalize but most importantly get the ordinance changed to PROTECT
them against automatic euthanasia and educated most of our valleys animal
controls that these animals should not be automatically euthanized.

But, we, my wife and I are going to be moving soon and it will be to
another state.  I have tried to get someone out there to take over, but I
have had no one offer too.  We have several outstanding members who I know
would if they could, but they do not possess the time to do it and I
respect their honesty in not attempting to do something that does require a
huge amount of time, money, and emotional challenges to its operators.

As for U.F.O. itself, its fate is still up in the air.  I do not know if I
can still operate it where I am going, since there is already a few ferret
organizations there and I probably won't have the time to combat with other
organizations for time.  That sounds unfair, but we all know that most
towns are not big enough for more than one organization.

As long as we are here, we will continue to help educate the public and do
our best for these little critters we all love so much.  Its also time for
my wife and I to devote all our love and attention to our 9 critters who
have endured the long battle, frequent guests, shared attention with the
many sick and dying ferrets that we have tried our best to deal with over
the years.

For those of you out there that have anything to say, I understand and am a
veteran of many FML BASHING EPISODES, that this is a public forum, etc.
etc.  The purpose of this post is to let the Ferret owners out there who
live in Utah and are not U.F.O.  members, know what is about to happen.
Members will read about it in the upcoming newsletter.  So please, keep
your spiteful, unnecessary, and sometimes insensitive comments to yourself.
Because being a veteran of the distasteful comments some of you out there
like to spew on us who have been in the trenches fighting for Ferret well
being, save your typing skills for something else.

My final plea is for someone who lives in the Salt Lake Valley, who is of
sound mind and commitment, please step forward and open your heart and home
to the homeless Ferrets of our fair valley.  I will do everything in my
power to help you out for as long as I am here.  It is not certain that I
am leaving, but if I do get the call, I will only have two weeks to pack
up and get out of town.

Thank you,
Rick Roller
United Ferret Organization