From:
Teri VanDever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 1996 13:15:00 -0500
Hello Everyone,

This is going to be so hard to write so please excuse any mess-ups and its
length.  Three and a half years ago I went in to the local pet store to find
a playmate for our Buddy.  He was about a year at that time and I felt he
was lonely during the day while we were at work and school.  Anyway I walked
back to where there were three 6wk old kits and fell in love with the
tiniest of the lot.  She was light brown and had a very faint mask and was
so tiny and loving.  I promptly paid the $120 and left for home.  She was
very dignified and after watching her put up with Buddy dragging her around
by the neck so he could "stuff" her into his box in the cage, I named her
Contessa.  Soon Contessa was shortened to Tessa Marie (she was too much the
aristocrat for just Tessa :)) Buddy never hurt her but I sure did worry and
watch closely those first few months till she got big enough to sneak and
attack back.  She finally got to do the dragging and stuffing of a new kit
herself a year later when we got Crystal.  I swear she looked pretty
satisfied to teach the new one where it belonged.  In the box and out of her
way!  Of course, she never grew big enough to really whup up on any of the
other four but she sure gave it her best shot if they attacked first!

Tessa was my little girl and would come and greet me when I came in the door
if she was out and wait for me to pick her up and cuddle.  Then she would
want down to do the ferret thing.  (running, digging in the couch, stealing
the remote, etc.) This past February she gained a lot of weight and was
dragging her belly around so I took her to the vet who diagnosed
lymphosarcoma.  It was about this time I got a new computer system and found
the FML online.  I sent out an SOS and many kind people and vets responded.
One in particular, Gary H., sent me Timmy's recipe and helped by sending
me some of the ingredients I couldn't find locally.  I started Tessa on
this and the steroid medicine the vet gave and she finally started to perk
up.  She would even occassionaly play and loved the towel/blanket rides
again.  Last week she quit eating even the recipe.  So I started feeding her
water and recipe with an eye dropper.  She would take this I think in an
attempt to humor Mom not out of any desire for the nutrients.  Thursday,
things got worse and I made an appt with a Wichita vet I had been told
about.  The appt was for Sat.  am.  Friday Tessa refused to even open her
mouth, we had to pry to get some fluids into her.  So Tessa and I went out
on the porch (she loved being allowed on the porch) and rocked and talked
about her staying with me as opposed to leaving.  She gave me her kisses
(kinda) but she was so tired.  When I got up at 4am Saturday, she had
crossed the Rainbow Bridge.  She was lying and looking so peaceful that at
least I know she went without pain.  For that I am grateful, but I really
miss her.  She is buried out back under our cedar tree which I think she
would have wanted.

The other kids know something is different (of course they do).  What is
interesting is that my White Witch (Crystal) is now being very loving and
will now let me hold her longer that 5 seconds and give kisses to boot!
Before she was just one of the boys and definitly the rowdiest of the lot.
The boys have been very tolerant of Mom wanting to hold and snuggle these
past few days, too.  I really feel for those who lose a ferret that only
have the one, it must be even harder than what I feel now.  At least, the
others are there to give me support right now.

I'm sorry this was so long, but I felt I had to write.  Thanks for your
tolerance.  Many thanks to TLE, Lynn Mc and Gary H.  also for their support
and help with questions during Tess's illness.  Thanks to all the FML'rs
just for being there and understanding and BIG for letting me ramble.

Bye,
Teri
Buddy (the Patriarch), Rascal (the wild rescue), Bandit (my beautiful
little thief), & Crystal (aka White Witch)