From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 1996 11:51:20 -0500
>Subject: A word or more about declawing.....in response to Laura and Matt...
> Declawing has always been a delicate subject for me.  After all, declawing
> is actually the removal of the first distal, not just the claw.  [cringe].

Thanks for sticking your neck out and presenting this issue from the "other"
viewpoint.  I hope you don't mind if I point out what seems like a logical
inconsistency in your arguement.

Okay, here is what you say...

>By declawing a free roaming ferret you are limiting its climbing ability
>only in a very minor way, they can still jump, and use their back claws for
>that extra push... But it does prevent them from climbing drapes and
>shredding screens, both of which can also put ferrets in harm's way.  [It
>also prevents them from climbing up my bedding in the middle of the night
>and being crushed while snuggling.] There are countless other places and
>things a ferret can DIG through when given the time and inclination.

The claws allow them to get into a lot of things and destroy your stuff.
Declawing prevents that.

>...But small nails in carpet or wire under doorways does not sound too
>keen; putting chicken wire under all upolstery seems a bit much and if not
>executed properly it can actually execute the ferret....

It is hardly necessary to staple chicken wire to anything...

>...deciding to declaw any ferret is a deeply personal and individual matter
>that deserves much consideration and respect; most of which needs to be
>directed towards the ferret's welfare, not human convenience.

You claim that declawing is in the ferret's best interest.  However, you
admit that you do it to prevent the ferret from digging carpet, etc.  As a
justification, you say that it also keeps them safe by preventing them from
getting into certain kinds of trouble.  This makes no sense.  Does a ferret
need front claws to climb into an appliance and be crushed or electrocuted?
Does a ferret need front claws to slither through a hole and get into the
walls or outside?

If you worry about the safety of your ferret, why not simply get a cage and
keep them in it when you're not around?  Many of us do that (or alow them
unrestricted access to one very safe room.  They don't seem to mind, really.
They sleep most of the time.  And it would be a lot more humane than
amputating their fingers.

You are right that they live perfectly happy lives after the procedure, but
I feel it is a point of honor not to do such things to unconsenting victims
whether they are humans or animals.  We had one cat who was declawed once.
My father had this done because she attacked my sister and scratched her
near the eye.  I think THAT is a good reason to declaw since the alternative
was euthanasia.

Look at your own hands for a moment.  If someone removed the distal portion
of each finger, you could probably live your life much as before.  True, you
would not be able to get into as much trouble, but you could probably resume
life with a few minor adjustments.  But wouldn't you view the operation with
horror anyway?

-Catherine