From:
Jane Odell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 15:10:18 +0100
Hi all,
Thanks again to everyone who responded to my plea for help :o)

Unfortunately they didn`t make it :o(  After a great deal of discussion the
vet and i decided not to go ahead with a c-section.  No vet in my area had
ever performed this procedure on a ferret and she considered it too risky.
I wanted to put Phoebe at as little risk as possible.

On Saturday, she started to pass the kits - i caught her in the process of
destroying the evidence (if you know what i mean) I`m absolutely positive
they were dead before they were born.  I kept her in my bedroom over night,
in case of any difficulties.  She seemed fine, so i put her back in her pen
Sunday.  I returned later to find some blood stained bedding and very dark
poops, so i deduce from that - she`d had some more.

She`s at the vets, right at this moment - getting spayed, so i`m hoping we
can put this behind us.

Two weeks ago, three rescues came in - they were from the breeder of my
Emil.  Apparently the breeder is very ill and felt he could no longer care
for his ferrets.  But, carelessly - he had let them mate and last week i
was awarded with 11 little wrigglers :o) Clara, the bigger of the two jills
(weighing 2.2lb before producing her litter ) had 9.  Annie ( weighing -
just 1.8lb before her litter) had just 3, but sadly one didn`t make it.
I`m trying hard to feed the tiny girls up - for their job in hand ;o)
Anyway, almost a week on, all 11 are doing great - so at least we`ve got
a kind of happy ending :o)

Dylan, the rescued hob, has also paid the vet a visit today - to loose a
couple of things ;o)

Please send a happy thought for Phoebe`s speedy recovery :o)

Thanks again  everyone.
Best wishes
Jane, Harv, Katy, Cas, Phoebe, Emil, Dylan, Annie, Clara & the 11 squeakers
                                                     ^. .^
                                                       *