From:
Glenn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 12:38:01 -0700
Hi ferret people,

We often see questions on ferret "treats", so I have decided to submit this
highly scientific evaluation of what makes a fuzzbutt happy.  We have had
four fuzzies, have lost three to cancer and insulinoma, and have only my
Chamuki left.

All of my guys loved cantaloupe.  Three also loved apple, orange, and
watermelon.  One would deal with the devil for a slice of grape.  All loved
ice cream, which they rarely got.  None would touch raisins or banana.  My
Chamuki's main diet is Totally Ferret with a little IAM's lamb and rice
mixed in and for him, a few pieces of cat food in a bowl of water is a
treat.  He loves to "fish " for them and sling water all over the kitchen.
He also gets a few tiny pieces of cantaloupe each morning.  On fridays,
which is his "weigh in" day, he gets enough ice cream to coat a teaspoon.
He sits perfectly still and happily licks the spoon while I read his weight.
Now, when I place the scale on the floor, he run and and sits on it because
he know it's goody time!

New ferret owners should be cautioned that dairy products and sweet treats,
especially chocolate, will kill your pet if not used with great moderation!
Also, never let your pet get hooked on one particular brand of food, because
the day may come when it is not available.  I almost lost a little girl
because the mfg.  changed the formula and she wouldn't touch it , or
anything else I tried to substitute.

Hug your ferrets,
Glenn J.