From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 23:26:28 EDT
Hi Everyone,

Just an update on my ferrets.  I had asked for suggestions on introducing
new ferrets.  My sable mitt female (Tracy) is almost 2 years old and had
been alone since I rescued her at approx. 14 weeks of age.  I said the new
male (albino) was 11 months old.  I was wrong.  I picked up his vet records
today and he's actually about 8 1/2 months old.

Anyway, I will have had him for 2 weeks tomorrow (Tuesday).  Last night was
their first night together in the new cage.  They aren't curling up to sleep
together.  Each one has his/her own bed that they like.  The 2 beds are
right next to each other.  They didn't seem to have any problems spending
so much time in the same cage.  I think we have achieved success!!

When we got the male (Dexter), we had to move Tracy's cage to the basement
so there would be room for both cages to be set together.  Since the
basement is the "ferret room", they've been getting longer playtimes then
what Tracy was used to now that the cages are in the basement.  Now my
husband is finally starting to come around.  He is not a ferret person.  But
since the computers are in the basement, when we've been working on them,
I've been letting the ferrets out.  My husband has actually stopped to watch
them and laugh.  He has commented how much like kittens they are and how
much more fun than rabbits (the closest thing he could come up with).  This
is an incredible admission from someone who has always regarded the ferrets
as just something to keep the wife from whining ;-).

He's even picking them up and playing a little with them - amazing!!

My Tracy has become a different ferret now that she has Dexter to play with.
This has been great!  It's too bad Dexter's owner was allergic, but Tracy
and I are glad he's been able to join our family!

Kim and company