From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 08:06:31 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Dan Herold <[log in to unmask]>
>Upon returning from my vacation, I found that my fuzzy, Gypsy has fallen
>very ill.  It happened two days before my return...

Bladders can get very large to a couple of common reasons in ferrets.  The
first is some type of urinary blockage (bladder stones for example).  My
impression is that this ferret was still urinating but had a big bladder so
a blockage probably was not present.

The other common disease we are now seeing is prostate problems which can
include something that is termed a second bladder syndrome.  In this, the
prostate becomes one large cystic structure that fills up with urine and can
press on other body organs (sounds familiar to your case?).  This prostate
problems is secondary to hyper adrenal disease and treating the adrenal
disease typically resolves the prostate disease.

>From:    Anna G Ralya <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sick ferrets - Is it a cold?
>Two of our three have what seems to be rather awful colds --- Cwynn is
>moping about snuffling and snorking loudly with a stuffy nose, and
>occasionally coughs and wipes his wet nose on my face when I pick him up

It does sound like a cold.  Colds can be either viral or bacterial in
nature.  Most ferrets with moderate to severe symptoms should be seen by a
veterinarian so they can be started on antibiotics.

>From:    "Thomas J. Balevre" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Enlarged Spleen, Ferretone

Ferrets do great without spleens.  A question that should be asked is what
is causing the enlarged spleen.  A lot of large spleens are secondary to
chronic stimulation due to an inapparant infection (like gastro-intestinal
disease).  The ferret should be examined for the potential primary cause.

>From:    "Paula E. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
>Can ferrets contract the Epstein-Barr Virus from humans?  I have
>mononucleosis, and am wondering what signs to watch for...

I don t know for sure but most viruses are very species specific so I would
think it is unlikely.

>From:    Brooke Tomaszewski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Molly's sick!
>I need to ask for any advice and help!  Molly was fine at 4:30pm yesterday,
>and at 5:10pm she was limp and staggering.  She wouldn't drink water or eat,

Was a barium contrast study done?  A lot of gas in the intestinal tract is
highly suggestive of a blockage and something like stereo foam will NOT show
up on a plain (non-contrast) x-ray.  My only other suggestion is some
aggressive nursing care with force feeding.  Do not rule out stomach
problems either (stomach ulcer ferrets can drool a lot).

>From:    Cheryl J Halley <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: vomiting
>Last night my albino ferret tried to vomit.  She does this every so many
>months and my vet and I can not figure out what is wrong.  Usually she does
>not throw up anything, but you can hear gurgling in her stomach ...

Although ferrets can vomit secondary to types of diseases that are
responsive to steroids (the prednisone and dexamethasone mentioned), this is
highly uncommon and should be attempted only after getting a firmer
diagnosis.  Some ferrets in stressful situations will have this sporadically
gurgly stomach and vomiting.  The other thing to consider is a low grade
ulcer that amoxicillin, pepto bismol, and sucralfate for at least 3 to 4
weeks may help.

>From:    Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question for Vets/Wise People
>I really need help here.  My vet has given up on my poor, baby Paleface; I
>have not.  To be brief: Last July, Paleface had an ulcer.  It was treated

Some of these gastrointestinal disorders last a long time.  The standard
treatment consists of amoxicillin, peptobismol and perhaps sucralfate.

>From:    Ernest Renda <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: vet questions
>-ferrets need to have benadryl before their shots or they could go into
>shock and die

Having an allergic reactions to typical vaccines is much higher in ferrets
as opposed to dogs and cats.  Receiving a pre-vaccine dose of an
antihistamine like benadryl reduces the risk.  A reaction can be severe
enough to be fatal.

>-there is a ferret distemper shot, but canine distemper is better (this
>i've heard, is it true?)

This is the Fervac versus Galaxy-D discussion.  The questions is not the
immunity conferred, but the level of reaction.  Fervac is approved legally
for ferrets while Galaxy-D is only approved for dogs.  The active ingredient
is the same.  Some studies and individual reports seem to implicate Fervac
as causing more reactions.

>-ferrets need to have heartorm pills

Won t hurt, but the incidence rate for heartworm in ferrets is unknown but
assumed to be very low.

>-tartar buildup is a common problem (this i hadn't heard, but it's common
>in cats and dogs so it doesn't surprise me)

Yes, and frequent brushing with a pet toothpaste may minimize the build-up.

>From:    "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: petroleum jelly ?, and fireplace tools!
>I remember that there was a discussion concerning Laxatone and petroleum
>jelly - laxatone primarily consisting of p.j. with added flavoring...

The cat hairball remedies such as laxatone taste better and more ferrets are
willing to accept them.  Petroleum jelly is less expensive but we re not
talking dollars, but dimes.  I would prefer the easier solution.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.