From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 18:21:15 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Steve Mcgrane <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Chloe blood test results
>I went to the vet on monday, and got a blood glucose test for chloe.  Her
>glucose level was 110.  I was told that this indecated hypoglycemia.

Depends on the machine, but 90 - 160 mg/dl is a good range for normal blood
sugar.

>From:    MISS MEGAN J WISDOM <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: at home glucose test
>My baby has just been diagnosed with insulinoma and I want to do a glucose
>test myself.  I know you can buy the teststrips at the local pharmacy

Good question.  Unfortunately, pets do not take well to pinpricks to get
blood samples.  Also stress can temporarily raise the blood sugar.  The
stress of you coming with the lancet could skew the results.

>From:    Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Gizzie update, Vets-ECE question
>Vets - I was thinking (I know I shouldn't do that), putty colored stools are
>found in dogs with corona virus.  Our ferrets have them.  Each time I ask if
>this could be a canine corona virus I'm told the virus is normally species

Dr. Bruce Williams who has done a lot of biopsies on intestinal tract feels
that this is probably a different virus from parvovirus, coronavirus, etc.
based on the microscopic changes as opposed to the more visible end results -
that is, putty colored stools.  As such, coronavirus vaccination would b  e
of no use for protection.

>From:    Christine Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Laxatone Substitutes;corncob litter
>Laxatone Substitutes:
>I read that petroleum jelly is okay, how about mineral oil?

If mineral oil gets down into the lungs by mistake, you may develop a pretty
nasty pneumonia.

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Pine Tar & Ferret Butt
>Anyone have an experience with ways to get pine tar out of a ferret butt.

This trick works well with dogs.  Rub olive (or cooking) oil into the pine
pitch to soften and re-dissolve it.  Then wash with shampoo and water.

>From:    Opel the Crasher <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: sick ferret
>I need some help. My ferret Phreak has suddenly started having these bad
>caughing spells where she acts like she's gonna caugh up a lung.

Could be serious.  Thoughts range from a cold all the way to heart disease.
Get Phreak to the vet s.

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: ferrer & baby / vet Q
>My one year old neutered male Moose has Orange-speckled, crusty patches on
>the last 1/2 to 1/3 of his tail.  There is no aparent hair loss and it does
>not appear to bother him at all.

I usually consider yellow crusty stuff to be either seasonal hair loss, poor
nutrition or poor skin coat condition.  Shampooing may help.  Make sure the
ferret is on an appropriate diet.  If it persists, see a vet.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.