Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 2000 07:56:02 -0400
Ah yes, the counting of heads.  Every so often I have to do just that. :-)
Currently MKARESQ in Warren, Michigan has a total of 42 shelter ferrets.

Debbie Scott wrote:
>Anyone who has bought a kit from a breeder and not a pet store may have
>been ask to sign a spay/neut.  contract before taking the un-alter kit
>home.  I do hope that all that have done this have KEPT their word and
>had this fine pet altered at the proper age.

Operating as a shelter for almost five years I can't begin to tell you
how many unaltered ferrets we receive.  These ferts come from the animal
control agencies, various people where the ferret was passed from person to
person and even pet stores!  Where does the responsibility lie?  With the
breeder (to check up on this) or the owner?  Certainly the owner, but a
copy of the spay/neuter should be sent to the breeder by a certain date.
If not, I would assume, the breeder should then contact the buyer of the
kit and inquire as to why the ferret has not been altered.  I know this
is time consuming and requires paperwork (which I hate) but it is a
responsibility.  A responsibility that any good breeder would follow.

I remember, many years ago, attending my first GLFA show.  Two Pole Pumpkin
Ferretry was there with some of the most beautiful babies I had ever seen.
I can understand how a person could become so enthralled by their beauty as
to want to continue the lineage.  But, 300 ferrets!?!  I don't know their
facilities nor do I know if they have employees to help them in their
endeavor.  I do know that it is a lot of cages and a ton of work.

On the other hand, all of these ferrets came from TPP?  That means that
TPP had 300 ferrets.  Why was there no concern of this?  Would TPP sell to
someone that they did not think would give the ferrets adequate care?  Did
they just jump at the chance to sell to the first buyer that came along or
did they check them out?  Are we being hasty in our accusations?  Are we
condemning before we know facts?  (Where did I put my suit?)

Mary
http://www.mkaresq.com