From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:40:10 -0600
Many ferrets rescued from exotic animal auctions are frightened and have
been physically abused, not knowing the love and kindness of humans.
Rusty was blinded in one eye from some type of physical trauma and we can
only guess what his life was like before us.  He didn't let his past stop
him from learning to live like a ferret deserves.  trauma.  Rusty could
tussle with the best of them and he always gently put them in their place.
He was never a cuddler or a kisser to humans but comforted newcomers and
ailing ferrets.

Rusty and I had a special way of showing affection.  I would roll up his
back end and tussle him and tell him "I'm getting your butt" and he would
dook up a storm.  Whenever he'd see me and wanted affection he'd grab his
own butt by rolling up in a ball and placing his front paws behind his
back end and he'd dook and roll.  He got so I could tell him to "grab
your butt" and he'd do it right away, tickled at our 'affection'.

Each evening Rusty would cruise our home, softly dooking to himself.

A few days before he died, Rusty searched out secluded places to sleep,
away from the others.  I knew even though I couldn't admit it.  Even on
his last night here in this realm, he wouldn't sleep on my chest.  He did
sleep in a blanket next to me and I was able to rest my hand gently on
his body as he drifted off to sleep, never to awaken.

Rest well my love....

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services