Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 01:31:25 -0700
>Expression of anal sacs is not really required in ferrets as it is in
>dogs, and should not be performed as a routine practice - even at long
>intervals.

That sentence doesn't make sense to me (and posting this on the FML
without a way to have a communication...on the FML about it, is one of
the main reasons I don't like and usually don't bother to read the cross
posts.)

But I have read this so...I'd appreciate it if other shelter moms or
veterinarians would respond.)  If a ferrets scent glands do fill and
become uncomfortable for the ferret do you....(1) ignore it?
(2) surgically remove the anal glands?  (3) express them or (4) ????????

I express the glands of several ferrets periodically (another word for
routinely), including my own Freddy.  At 5 1/2 I have periodically had to
do this for Freddy over the past 4 years.  When I have not expressed his
glands (when he was younger), they became hugely swollen, he became
infected (pus filled glands) and had to be put on antibiotics.  Now when
they become full I express the glands and he no longer becomes infected.

If there's another way to deal with this problem, I'd certainly prefer to
avoid expressing the glands.  But I don't want to have them surgically
removed as long as there's a less invasive way to handle the problem.
(It's not one of my favorite things to do. :-)

Thanks,
Sandi

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
   dba House Rabbit Society
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
Open 7 days/week or visit our on-line store at:
http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org