From:
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 16:51:12 -0800
It was not I who decided that the case should be arbitrated by Judge Lane,
but the Amos Family.

Going in I knew three things, one, he couldn't tell me to give back the
ferrets, two the appearance fee can pay for two upcoming surgeries, and
three and an important one - he was to be a third party arbitrator.

An arbitrator's job is to listen to both sides of the story (completely)
and sift through the facts.  Not to blast either side.

In the green room I was to to interject, as long as it wasn't the judge,
but do it politely.  I did.  I got blasted.  Ok, it was for show I can deal
with that.

But not being able to give my side of the case, and having the "Judge"
decided to start blasting away at an adoption contract, and not willing to
listen to the process of repossessing the ferret, totally ignoring the case
of abandonment was uncalled for and unfair.

The show may be entertainment, but the judges have a legal responsibility
to listen, they are acting as legal and binding arbitrators, not just as a
tv judge.

Do I feel I was lied to?  Yes, to a point.  If I was told they wanted to
cause the judge to get excited by an excuse me, then I would have been
willing to go along with it.  Believe me, it took all my self control not
to tell him to shove his show and his lying staff up his butt.

Did I expect to get treated with respect, and the people who were there
with me get treated with respect?  Yes I did.  Did I or they, no.  Lies
are not respectful.  Anne Ryan was to speak as a "local" shelter and was
totally ignored.

Am I happy about the outcome?  Yes, I keep the two ferrets and have the vet
paid off.  With a little extra to buy a couple of toys.

Would I do it again?  I don't know.  It would depend on the funds in the
shelter and what major surgeries would need to be done, and only if I had
more time to prepare.

Like I said, I didn't start this thing with the show.  But it is done, and
over with.

Hug all the fur angels for me.

Jean

PS  Thank you to everyone who sent me notes about Trouble.