From:
Beth Comarow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 17:50:01 EST
There seems to be an position put forth by some people that surgery in
ferrets over 5 years old is not recommended.  I confess I rarely read the
fml any more, so haven't read posts on the topic.  But word gets around.
Yesterday, however, I was at my vet's office yesterday, and learned about
someone who had insulinoma surgery done yesterday on one of her ferrets,
who was six.  I may have the age wrong.  She was quite upset, having been
told by someone that she should not even consider such a surgery on a
ferret that old.  (She had the surgery and her ferret did well.)

I couldn't disagree with this "not over 5" sentiment more strongly.
Assuming that the ferret surgeon is top-notch (the surgeon in this case was
Charles Weiss), and the ferret has been examined and blood-work done to
determine that the ferret is a good surgical risk, there's no reason to
withhold surgical treatment, and every reason to go ahead with it.

Why are people saying that surgery shouldn't be done on plus-5 year olds?
Who knows.  Some surgeons don't know much about ferret surgery, using
anesthesia that is not recommended, fasting ferrets much too long (thus
weakening them), or keeping them under anesthesia too long (speed is
important).  Maybe some surgeons tell people surgery isn't advisable
because they know the owners or shelters don't have the money to do lots
of surgeries.  Maybe this humane response has convoluted itself into the
belief that surgery should not be done.

I know people who have had their 5, 6, 7 and 8 year old ferrets operated
upon by Dr. Weiss.  I've had it done.  Thanks to the surgery, the ferrets
have done well and were granted extra time.  What's long enough?  Some
owners say a year isn't very long.  Loosely speaking, that's about a decade
for us.  I say that's a long time.

Two of my ferrets had had surgery when they were over five.  They were
comfortably up and walking around the day of surgery, under supervised
conditions.

Of course, we follow strict post-op care instructions by Dr. Weiss - no
ramps for 4-5 days, no jumping, no wrestling.  Much post-op brusing is from
too much activity.  These ferrets of ours are extremely stoic, to their
detriment, and we need to set the limits for them since they know no
limits.  We set up a bathroom as a Recovery Room, pad it with sleep sacks
and blankets and a sheets, add a carrier for a den, and allow the small
patient out ever few hours for a walk and visits with their ferret friends.

To make a loving, caring owner feel guilty at wanting the best for her
animals, is cruel, or misguided at best.  This woman traveled a long
distance to get what she believes is the best surgical care she can find
for her beloved ferrets.  She should be applauded, not castigated.

So here's to __________ and your ferret - I only caught a quick peak - may
you have many happy days and nights together, and thanks for caring.

Beth