Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 08:51:43 -0600
Regarding the heimlich in ferrets. In my earlier post I was attempting to
discribe a method of savely compressing ribs (if there is such a way) and
thoracic anatomy, and was not actually discribing the heimlich or CPR. I
personally don't feel comfortable doing so, because I would have to do that
in person, and not by e-mail. I would certainly try to manually clear the
airway first before any dangerous procedure such as the heimlich.

Regarding species.  I think the FML post was the longest I ever sent, yet it
was far too short to do the subject justice.  There exists an international
committee on taxonomic nomenclature, and they basically decide what is to be
used.  Under their rules, the accepted binominal for domestic ferrets is
Mustela putorius, with the subspecies designation furo.  I am thinking about
writing a paper on this subject, but it will probably take me a year or more
to do so.  Many taxonomists refuse to accept the subspecies designation,
arguing that it confuses relationships.  When I said to use Mustela furo, I
am being somewhat of a radical, and am going against accepted norms.

I don't know if BIG has tolf you, but the FML will be 8 years old on Dec
21, 1995.  I wouldn't know this myself, except I decided to read some of
the back issues, so logically started at 0001 (Dec 21, 1987).  What a
difference time has made on this list.  Still, poop, food, toenails, and
biting were discussed then almost identically as today.  Some things
change, others do not.

BIG, what about some type of birthday issue or something?  You could define
a topic, and we could all post on it.  Anyway, being a lover of history and
the FML, maybe the original 10 + 1 anon + moderator could post some
thoughts.  Maybe I could just shut up and go home...

BTW, does ANYONE know the origin of "Business" as a ferret term?  One theory
I heard is that in England (long, long ago, no doubt) ferretters would run
the beasties, then capture and sell the rabbits.  The ferrets were their
'business'.  I dunno....any other ideas?

Bob (Bespectacled Bum With Tastefully Scarified Abdomen)
Moose, Stella, Daye, Tori, Bear, Apollo, Foster, Buddy, and Razz.
Foster says, "I'm the new business manager..."

[Moderator's note: A birthday party of sorts sounds nice.  At the very
least I should try to get the original moderator, Chris Lewis, to make
a speech.  (You listening, Chris?)  Only 3 of the original subscribers
are still subscribed though, as far as I know.  Maybe when we're *ten*
years old we'll rent out the Marriott at Disneyworld or someplace and
have an FML bash.  And then when we're 15 we'll do it again in Europe.
And when we're 20....  BIG]