From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 13:45:12 -0800
Hi.  I've got a question here I haven't heard before on the FML.  Has anyone
seen a ferret's personality change because of dominance fights?  I have two
neutered males that went through quite a dominance struggle and are now far
less cuddly, and amenable to ferret friendships, than they used to be.  They
share the "cock of the wock" position, with one a little above the other,
among our seven ferrets, three of which are whole (though one is descented),
one a whole male!  The whole male is much younger, and bigger, and my SO
wants to slowly expose him to the aggressive males so we can let all our
ferrets out together - right now they are let out in two groups, the
dividing factor being the two dominators.  (BYW, one of the dominators is a
Marshall Farms ferret, tiny, having been neutered/descented very young,
though he IS white footed, and a great teleporter -- Oh, come on, I don't
really believe that white-footed stuff, do I?...)

So, my worry is, that if I let Tarzan (the whole male) meet and fight
with the two dominators, his personality (which is so, so, sweet and
cuddly, now) will change.  I know this is silly, but I envision him being
a "hubby" to the two ladies next spring when they give birth, though I know
the minute he goes in season he'll probably drive them bats and have to
be separated from them prior to/after them birthing.  Tarzan and the
Poufays (Claudette and Minnie) are all such sweet buddies now, I'm also
afraid Tarzan won't be so gentle with them (he's four+ pounds while
Minnie's pressing one pound) if he experienced dominance tussles.  For
now he plays ever so gently with them, and they absolutely adore him
(especially on cool fall nights).

By the way, Tarzan was a black sable, but his winter coat has sprouted,
and I mean SPROUTED (nothing compared to the other six) so that he looks
like a giant caterpillar with a new, caramel undercoat.  (When his tail
sproings into a bottle brush, it's bigger than my cat's tail!!) But his
FACE, his previously little dark black-masked face is nearly all white, up
around the ears down to his little chin, with a small and silvery-dark
mask left(at least for now).  He looks like a different ferret, like a
giant furrball trundling around the floor, my own little behemoth...  but
SUCH a doll.  Our friend Weasel (and his two-legged parents) came by for
the first time last night and were FLOORED by their adoration of Tarzee!!
In fact, they signed up for kits in spring right away, which is great, as
all my kits must go to wonderful homes, but that's grist for another FML
message, not to mention lots of preparation, education and work, as these
will be my first litters of kits!  (Having been around the FML this summer
I have at least some idea of what I'm getting into).  In fact, I'll be
putting this in another message, but if anyone in the Seattle area is
interested in spring kits they're welcome to e-mail me now.  I will NOT be
in to breeding AT ALL for the money, though I will charge something to
cover my costs and time.  I already plan to travel to the prospective
owners home.  Is that going to far???

Thanks for listening.

Lynn Mc., Janos (SO), Wellington (the cat), and the Gang of Seven

On age, let's just say I'm... I'm... well, I just had a birthday - will
thirty-something do??

Bye for now!