From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 08:02:49 -0700
Hi,

This is my first time writing to the list, but I've been loving it
vicariously!  I have seven little guys (and gals), four neutered males,
one unneuterd guy, and two whole females (albinos) - I'll get the
technical terms down one day.  There's also big old Wellington, 15 years,
sixteen pounds, cat - sort of the Yoda (wise old sod) of the group.

It's time for yearly vaccinations for some, probably others, so I've been
researching the subject, not so simple any more since we acquired new
family members with sketchy vaccination histories.

I'll try and simplify my questions - sigh..* Regarding MF ferrets.  Is
there a definite vaccination policy on them.  I'm wondering if the MF
ferrets I acquired as adults, ever had a big enough boost of distemper
vac. to begin with -- it's too late to ask the owners.  A couple we've had
vaccinated (they were acquired at different times), but not with
two-series shot recommended for adults with unknown histories, as I didn't
know about the series previously.  If they do need the two-shot series is
it okay they be given four weeks apart instead of three?  I've heard
conflicting info. on this.

I'm taking them to a mobile pet vaccination clinic, with the blessing of my
good vet.  I've spoken to the owner of the clinic, a vet who is at the
clinics, who assured me she'd be available in case of reactions - the
clinic's only five blocks from my house and it's open during my vet's hours
(ten blocks away).  The mobile clinic vet said she hadn't seen reactions to
vaccinations and giving the rabies and distember - (Fervac and Imrhab
spelling???  is what she uses, as does my vet, so they pass muster there) -
were fine.  My vet suggested separate times for the individual vacs, so if
there were a reaction he'd know which drug was being reacted to - makes
sense to me so I'll do that.  My vet also said it would be okay to vac.
the guy who had one 5 months ago (distember), so as to get everybody on the
same annual schedule (said it would only boost his immunity).

BTW, I questioned my vet about anesthesia and he said he uses Isoflorine
(sp??!!) for shorter term general anesthetic, but uses a "cocktail (yuk!)"
of the Isoflorine and a tranquilizer (phonetically, sounds like
asepromisine and, the other he mentioned, ketamine).  I'm asking him about
this in case there's a reaction to vacs; I want to know that they'd get
the best possible care (and check up on my vet's experience).  My vet has
taken care of one of our ferrets during an illness (a virus, I think),
from which the little guy came back, and he's open to new learning, but
I'm just checking with our online vets who have lots of experience with
ferrets, more than him I presume.  He is a very caring vet.

That's about it for now.  Sorry about the length - tried to simplify!!
But I want to get good care established for the kids BEFORE there's an
emergency.  Oh, by the way.  My SO, who loves the ferrets, says he doesn't
think we need to get rabies shots for them, that they'll "never" be
exposed to this.  I said that if they ever bit anyone, proof of rabies
could insure they weren't destroyed.  He says this wouldn't happen.
Opinions?  We live in the Seattle area, don't have visitors to our home
regularly, and don't take the guys beyond the yard much, though I would
like too.  Guess I could just go ahead and get the rabies shots myself -
is it an annual requirement??

Thank you all for everything already!!

Lynn

The unfixed menage:

Tarzan:  "Me Tarzan!"
Minnie:  "You stink, ick!"
Claudette (mom of Minnie):  "Minniekins that's rude (he does stink,
           though, doesn't he ;)]
Tarzan:   "I'm a hunk!)
M & C:    "Get him!"
All:      "Muck, muck, muck, muck - sccreeach! - dook, dook, dook..."