From:
MuskyDusty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2011 09:58:58 -0500
Zoo wrote:  RE: The Giving Tree & message to Bruno
>>whether they have a 501c or like us come out of pocket for every
>>ferret in our care.

>LOL--Bruno, there are many misconceptions surrounding 501(C)(3)
>status.
>
>A 501(C)(3) makes a donation tax-deductable for the giver.
>
>If you have a 501(C)(3) and someone donates $100 to your shelter,
>the whole $100 goes to the ferrets, whereas, if you didn`t have the
>501(C)(3) you would have to pay income tax on it, and your ferrets
>would lose that portion.
>
>A 501(C)(3) appears to make an organization more "credible" somehow,
>when you ask for donations--but it does not guarantee them :)

Zoo -- I am sure we all know what a 501(c)3 is, I am glad that quote
hit your funny bone. But, I am confused as to why you singled that
quote out? Can you enlighten us further as to what the "many
misconceptions" are?

I didn't read anything in Bruno's post, other than he was being
inclusive of ALL Shelters, whether they are the big-named, well-known,
official "businesses" with the non-profit status that can do raffles
and fundraising for tax-free - down to the personal, word-of-mouth
small shelters/hospices that aren't incorporated and all ferret care
comes out of the person's paycheck without the benefit(s) larger,
well-known shelters have. Like, for example, thanking everyone in a
company for a job well done, from the company president down to the
file clerk.

Dookie Dook,
Musky Dusty