From:
Jodylee Estrada Duek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 09:03:31 -0700
When I lived in Tucson in the 70's I had a ferret named Polly.  Since I was
a (starving) grad student I lived on the floor; mattress on the floor,
pillows in the living room on the floor, low table to eat on.  Only my desk
& typewriter (ah, how far we've come -- my typewriter has given way to a
Commodore, an Apple, two Macs, a 286 IBM (ugh), and now a Power Mac :-) were
above ferret level.

As a grad student in Ecology I studied many birds & mammals, and since Polly
was an omnivore her diet pretty well paralleled mine, although she got lots
of cat food (both dry & canned) as well.

She loved any carbonated beverage, whether soda or beer, because (I suspect)
they tickled her nose.  She would stick her nose in, sip, back up, sneeze,
shake her head, and go back for more.  I never let her have but a few sips
of whatever it was, but she would get very active, doing her joy dance and
chirking until she began jumping sideways & bumped a wall, then she'd slow
down again.

She once got into some Kahlua & cream a friend was drinking, when we all
went outside for a few minutes to say goodbye to another friend after a
small dinner party.  She apparently drank enough to feel the effects, and
danced and chirked like mad, but rather awkwardly (like a cheerful drunk
trying to show off on the dance floor & occasionally tripping over his/her
own feet).  She would leap high into the air, twisting and turning in all
directions before hitting the carpet again, chirking merrily.  She was
rather like Jennifer Beals in the movie Flashdance; turning, tumbing,
leaping frenetically, just not always quite as graceful.  After about 20
minutes she calmed down & went to sleep in my lap.  The next day she laid
around and gave me mournful looks; probably the ferret equivalent of a
hangover.  By late afternoon she was back to her cheerful self.  After that,
she always *tried* to get to alcoholic drinks, especially sweet ones, but
they were off her list (not that I could afford them very often anyway).