From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 20:19:00 +0000
Hi Everyone,

Well, let's see, I think I will start with the big Craisin debate.  Yep, the
ones I feed to the guys are made by Ocean Spray.  And yep, sugar.  So, let's
see if I can be as boring as Bob with only one biology class partly under my
belt.  It will be hard, as he has so much more training in the subject.  ;-)
Oh, and lordy have mercy, before anyone gets the wrong idea, I love the man
to death and love teasing him.  And he knows it.

You say, how can I attempt this magical feat?  Well, I am taking human
biology with the forensic anthropologist here at the school.  The man is
cool, the man is amazing and the man just taught us about the basic chemical
compounds of the body.  hehe.  Knowledge I can use for a limited time.

To make it easy, there are three basic sugars, glucose, fructose, and
galactose.  Fructose is found in fruit and is probably familiar to those who
haunt the health food stores.  You combine this with glucose and get
sucrose, or sugar.

My point, you ask?  What do you think raisins have in them?  Fructose!!  But
guess what, it isn't added so you aren't ever going to see it on a label.
Which is why you shouldn't feed too many raisins either.  Which is also why
I am not worried about feeding Craisins.  So the sugar is added, instead of
naturally occuring.  Because of FDA labeling laws, we can see this.  The
main thing is not to feed to many of anything that can't be digested to the
ferrets.  Outside of that, I cannot believe that any food in moderation,
should be worried about.  I haven't ever heard of anything that is toxic (as
avocados are to birds) so why worry?

And for the person in the back row, my guys eat chocolate.  Not often, since
I don't eat chocolate often.  Give me a Pay Day anyday.  Oh, and Georgie
loves Pay Days.  He likes the peanuts.

I also tried a new variation on Stan's Stew (duck soup).  I made it with
blueberry yogurt baby food rather than meat based.  It was a big hit.  It is
Earth's Best, an organic food.  Hey, they eat better than I do, I eat like a
college student.  And no, it didn't bother them at all.

For the doubting Thomas' left, let me point out one thing.  Cream is
recommended for sick ferrets for adding weight.  I doubted this, with the
dire warnings of milk products and ferrets, so I never tried it.  But I know
someone who has.  She has a 7 year old ferret who has been fighting with ece
symptoms since the first of the year.  And has had diarrhea since then and
has been very hard to get to eat.  So in desperation, whipping cream.  The
ferret loves it, it is adding the much needed weight to her and guess what??
No more diarrhea!!!  Yep folks, you heard right, it cleared it up.  And now
the old woman is starting to eat a little solid food and running around the
house again.

I have been buried under school work, carrying 18 hours.  And as someone
pointed out to me when I pondered my thinking on taking 18 hours (thanks for
reminding me woman!) that I had previously questioned my own intellegence in
this matter.  In other words, I called myself stupid.  Ah well...

But if anyone wants to know why Coke cans are red, just ask.  I found out in
Evolution of Human Sexuality.

Maggie Mae, Mobbed by Mustelids in Mid Missouri

PS
Don't forget the Picnic in St. Louis this weekend Mo Ferret Folk.