From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 14:08:23 -0600
Hello Everyone,

I had written some posts on the Chicago show and some of the folks and
events along the way, but they are not acceptable to this forum.

All that I know is, as it appears to me, that my style of writing which has
long been accepted is no longer acceptable to post.  I got many compliments
from folks at the show for my posts, so it is with heavy heart that I will
withdraw from this forum.

I will continue to recieve it and respond to all that write me or that I
think I can help.  But I do not agree that what I sent in is inappropiate.
It ALL concerned folks on this forum, even if some was not directly ferret
related.

But I can only guess that since it isn't related to the anatomical design of
related mustelids, that it isn't good enough to post.

If you have comments, don't send them to me, send them to the moderator of
this list.

I have enjoyed the friendships, for the most part, that I have developed
through this forum and will make every effort to keep in toubh with those
folks.

I still plan on having my mini party for interested folks on November 8-9.
So email me if you are interested and I will keep you up to date that way.

With love and respect,

Margaret

[Moderator's note: Maggie's posts were rejected because it was my opinion
(and only my opinion) that they did not fit within the posting guidelines of
this list.  I've discussed this directly with Maggie and don't feel any need
to discuss the particular details on this list other than to say I didn't
feel the posts were primarily ferret related and didn't fit the guidelines
for personal (i.e. non ferret-related) posts.

This is a good time to clarify the posting policy about non ferret-related
posts.  This is a general policy statement and I don't mean to imply
anything in particular about the above-mentioned rejected posts.

It's always been the policy of the FML that posts about subscribers are
acceptable, within reason, and space permitting.  In other words, a post
mentioning you're going on vacation, or are getting married, or had a death
in the family or about any number of important events is quite acceptable.
Even a post or two simply introducing yourself is fine.  We're a community
of sorts on the list, and we often share important events in our lives with
others who also know us -- even if only online -- and care.

Now here's the clarification: When I say posts from subscribers are OK, I
mean posts from a subscriber about *themselves*.  I don't mean gossip from
a subscriber about *other* people!  Further, please be reasonable -- this
is still a list primarily about ferrets.  To post your life story every
other day isn't acceptable either.

I've gotten a couple of complaints lately about posts which appear to stray
too far off topic.  While I maintain, per the above policy, that this often
can be acceptable, I will be a little more careful about making sure the
substance of the off-topic posts pertain to the subscriber and are not
merely third-party gossip.  Difficult?  Yes.  Room for error?  Definitely.
I'll do the best I can, but even list moderators aren't perfect :-)  BIG]