From:
DiMuzio Susan M NBIC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 07:56:44 -0400
Dear Annoyed,

Yes, ferrets are loved, and treated, like children.

I've sat in my rocking chair, holding very sick ferrets long into the
night.  I've gotten up in the middle of the night for feedings and
medicine.  I've rushed ferrets to the vet during the day and in the
middle of the night for emergencies.  I've taken them to the vet for
shots and checkups and sicknesses.  I feed them, clothe them (blankies
and hammys), and shelter them.  I ferret proofed the house, to keep them
safe from dangers such as cleaning chemicals.  I am their care giver,
their guardian, in essence, their "mother".

These are the same things parents do for their children (actually, human
kids take a lot more care than ferrets!).

Do I have children?  No.  But I have 12 nieces and nephews that I love
to death and have spent a lot of time with.  I've held my sick, feverish
baby niece in my rocking chair, long into the night.  I've gotten up to
check on a sick niece/nephew, and in my paranoia, to make sure they're
still breathing throughout the night.  I've rushed to the hospital on
several occasions when my nephews were hurt or ill.  I've helped feed
them, clothe them, and even shelter them during bad times in their lives.
When they were toddlers, I "toddler" proofed the house to keep them safe
from dangers such as cleaning chemicals.  (And what little I've done
doesn't even compare to the parents/guardians out there.)

So yes, my ferrets, and cats, and Binky the hamster, are my children, and
are loved and treated as children.  I worry when they're sick, fret when
they're being bad, and clean up their messes.  I love each and every one
of them.

I believe we can love a child/human and a ferret/pet with the same
intensity.  We should not question how someone feels or how they mourn
the loss of a pet or child.  Both are devastating.  Both will rip your
heart out.

I lost Samson, the best cat God put on this earth, on Oct. 1, 2001.  I
still think of him every day, and still mourn his loss.  Eppy's mom,
Donna, once mentioned in a post about the loss of her 10-month old son
Joshua many many years ago.  I felt for her; the pain of her loss was
still there.  Both of us hurt, and will continue so, in our own way.

Sandee brings a lot of comfort to a lot of people.  Let her be.

Susan