From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 1995 21:33:34 -0700
>Hello Dr Williams,
>I got your address from the FML. The question I have for you is whether
>or not it is good to give crushed pills to my boys with some laxative.
>Does the laxative do anything to counteract the effects of the pill I
>am trying to give them. I don't have anything else as of this time.

    Doug - I don't think that this is such a good idea.  The laxative will
probably interfere with the drug's absorption, and may increase it's transit
rate throught the GI tract.  What type of pills are we talking about?

    Try putting them in a little baby food.  First you have to get them
hooked on chicken baby food - that is easy enough if you warm the food, and
offer it on a finger.  If they don't lick it at first- put some in their
mouth.  Some ferrets may need a session or two of persuading, but they all
eventually come around.

    We use the pills in the baby food at our house to medicate some of the
ferrets.  It works especially well with Pepto-Bismol tablets.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath