From:
Jim Gsoell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 00:28:23 -0500
I am not even sure how to start this, do I write Dear FML?  My name is Dawn.
I received my first ferret on my 36th birthday, March 9th.  I was told that
she was 6 weeks old, descented, and spayed.  I fell in love with the little
sable (I think) critter and named her Laweasel.  I thought she might be
lonely so I bought a cinnamon (I think).  Thelma is also a female.  Both of
the ferrets have already had their first distemper shots at 6 weeks.

I just started receiving the FML and have become a nervous ferret owner.  I
have started to believe that my ferrets will suffer from being descented.
It seems that they may end up with some sort of anal thingie because of the
descenting.  I made an appointment with the vet to have the second distemper
shot, and became worried about them having allergic reactions to the
vaccine.  On top of that the receptionist told me that they couldn't get
their shots until they were 12 weeks old, which seems to be conflicting with
what I am reading on the FML.  The vets office told me that they "always"
give the rabies vaccine at the same time as the distemper.

On top of all the Laweasel got shut in our front door the other day.  The
door is self-closing (apartment building fire regulation).  Laweasel
screamed and cried when it happened, and couldn't bear weight on one of her
front legs afterward.  I cried all the way to the vets office, I was sure
she was going to die.  When I got there whe was fine.  Laweasel also got
stuck in a V shaped planter leg, screamed, cried and pooped.  I thought that
would kill her.  My brother who gave Laweasel to me assures me that they are
practically indestructible (in his opinion).

Now Laweasel has been making a noise when she sleeps like she is coughing?
Thelma ate a good deal of a super ball, and has been pooping it out.
Laweasel is scratching her ears alot, and I am thinking that I am a bad
ferret owner.  I love them like crazy.  They are the best friends I have
ever had.  I live in Minnesota, near St.  Paul.  I would really like any
help, or suggestions that anyone can offer.  I want to be a good ferret
owner.  I am just really overwhelmed about all the things that I have to
learn, and learn fast.  Any reply will be appreciated, just please don't
flame me... I am really new to all of this, not just ferrets.  :]