From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:53:35 -0700
>Feces and urine drop through the wire floor to the ground.

And when the USDA certification allows a 900 pound (more or less) pig to
clean up the urine and feces, the USDA loses credibility.

Will someone who has seen the living conditions and first hand care of the
Kit and Caboodle ferrets please report here so we can all sleep a little
easier?  With all of you who have met the Cole's, surely one of you have
been to Tennessee to see their operation.  "USDA inspected" and show
ribbons are not enough for me so I'd sure like facts rather than
speculation.

>The AFA president said she has talked to them many times, they are good
>Christian people who care deeply for their ferrets.

arghh.  Are you saying that because I'm agnostic/aethiest, I'm not a person
who cares for my ferrets OR that being christian automatically makes a
person qualifed to be proper ferret caretakers?  Sorry, I don't buy that.
Some of the most horrific living conditions for ferrets I've ever known
of have been at the homes of christians and one of the most compassionate
shelters is run by agnostic/aethiests.

Religion has absolutely no place in the discussion about providing proper
care for ferrets.  You may be christian and you may care deeply for ferrets
but there is no automatic pass from one to the other.  What matters in
breeding & showing 300+ ferrets are things like the knowledge of ferrets
in general, knowledge of breeding and genetics, ability to provide for and
pay for the proper care of ferrets (including someone who is knowledegable
to take care of the ferrets while you not on site), providing veterinary
care from a ferret knowledgeable vet, responsibility in taking care of
the retired or culled breeders, responsibility to the ferret community in
supporting health, legal, and welfare issues, etc.

>they have now been given a ringing endorsement by the president of the
>American Ferret Association.

Please assure us that the AFA is endorsing the Cole's because of their
knowledge about ferrets & ferret breeding and after a personal visit to
Tennessee and not because of their religious stance.

{Soapbox off}

    -Carla (proudly agnostic and a great ferret mom!)