From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 02:04:51 -0500
Debra Chapman asked, "Does anyone actually KNOW Ed?"  Yes, I do.  I've
actually met him twice; once at a ferret club meeting and once at (and in)
his home.  He sort of looks like a demented Santa with twinkling eyes, red
nose and everything (and I looked like his dwarf).  I've seen his car
proclaiming ferrets, him wearing his WWI German army helmet, seen his
ferrets digging in his yard, actually seen his ferret room, his rescued
mink, his bird, and his wacky (yet functional) method of naming kits.  He
is a real person and actually a very nice guy.  Really.  My visit showed
me Ed is very proud of his ferrets, his home, his German heritage, and his
ability to irritate other people into thinking about things that wouldn't
normally cross their mind.  I don't always agree with him, and on occasion
he has really ticked me off, BUT I respect him and value his experience
with ferrets.  Ed is older than the average person found on the FML and he
has the ability to ask a really good question in such a way as to get the
maximum possible number of people upset.  I think some people misunderstand
his intentions because of the generational language he uses.  Well, at
least some of the time. ;-)

I think we all know more about domestication, eugenics and breeding, the
need for ferret activities, and other ferret stuff (not to mention HIV and
Gay issues) because Ed's comments spurred debate and information exchange.
What is wrong about that?  I've taught my kids from day one that there are
NO dumb questions; just dumb answers and even dumber answerers.  Asking
ANY question, even those not in question format, should never be attacked,
flamed or ridiculed.  I tease Ed in some of my answers, and a couple of
times I've even called him on the carpet (in mostly a nice way), but I
would NEVER want Ed to think I disliked him or wanted him to shut up or
quit.  Ed loves his ferrets, takes good care of them, breeds them carefully
and places them responsibly, and makes us all think from time to time.
If some of his opinions are different from someone elses, so what?  I
personally would never want to live in a world of perfect gingerbread
people, all stamped out with the same opinions and desires (unless they
are mine, of course).  Sometimes Ed might have dated facts from obsolete
science, but who knows everything?  I don't (I know; its shocking), and I
know in 30 years MY science will be outdated.  Hell, by NEXT YEAR, much
will be obsolete.  Ed may be wrong from time to time, but from my
experience, he seems to learn.  And that's the point, right?  Isn't that
what the FML is all about?

By the way.  Have you ever noticed that sometimes the least tolerant of
people are sometimes the ones who demand the most tolerance?  Only a fool
expects understanding and tolerance while bashing others.  You know, maybe
Ed *IS* an insensitive WWII era wacko who dislikes gays and should be
strung on a Maypole and tied up by Fairies, but isn't that his right, just
as it is for some people to dislike homophobes?  Besides, this isn't a
[List Your Oppressed Minority Here] mailing list; its a FERRET mailing
list.  We are here for fellowship, learning and exchanging information, and
promoting ferrets and their welfare.  The ferrets could care less if a Deaf
Gay Pagan KKKer with tatoos of buttercups on their butt gave them thier
raisin or scratched their ears.  And neither should we, which, by the way,
includes tolerance of insensitive WWII era wackos who dislikes gays.

I went back and re-read some of Ed's statements which caused the uproar,
and I'll be honest.  I just didn't see them as gay bashing.  I tried, but
really didn't.  I DID see someone with little understanding of HIV issues,
but wasn't he asking questions?  Didn't he ask for advice?  Isn't that
what this forum is for?  I might be an Overeducated Evolutionist Short
Mongrelized Middle-Aged Anglo-Saxon Straight White Male Protestant, but I
know that if someone asks ME for toleration, they damn well better not be
calling me names while they are asking.  And I'm a Quaker, bred for
toleration (and cool hats like on the oatmeal box).  Are you any different?

I will tell you something else; a little secret.  Sometimes a good way to
make people think is to challenge their beliefs and make them mad enough
to write, get out good information, or even <gasp> make positive changes.
Think about that the next time you reach for the keyboard after Ed has
ticked you off; you might have been just manipulated into getting good
information out to the masses.  Of course, I could be wrong and Ed could
just be an insensitive, crazy old fart who likes to stir up trouble and
spread mischief, then gleefully giggle at the resulting chaos.  I don't
think so.  Ed?  Are you giggling?  Ed?

Bob C and 16 Mo' Tolerant Terrors (Missing Apollo, Crystal and Moose)